Spanish announce 4GW wind project

 In Energy, News, Renewables, Wind farms

Spanish company Capital Energy, the first 100% renewable vertically integrated electricity firm on the Iberian peninsula, has submitted three offshore wind energy projects in Portugal for an environmental impact evaluation. The projects are under public consultation until October 17.

The company plans to hold an auction for 2GW that the Portuguese government intends to launch by the end of the year for offshore eolic energy, but the company says it can alter its projects if necessary.
Based in Madrid, the company has 20 years experience in developing wind and solar energy projects in Spain. In Portugal the company is present through Infinita Energy based in Santarém.
Its first project, Barlavento has a 2,400 MW total capacity divided in four plots, each with 600 MW (40 aero generators of 15 MW, which is located off Figueira da Foz. Around 10% of the energy produced there is for green hydrogen production with the other 90% to be fed into electricity network, according to an environmental impact study.
The aerogenerators that are closest to the coast are 51 km from Mira and 43 km from Quiaios in the North.
The second project, Caravela, is an offshore eolic project off the coast of Caminha-Viana do Castelo. The project has two plots, each one with 600 MW, with 40 aerogenerators of 15 MW, with a total of 1,200 MW.
Capital Energy foresees 90 MW for green hydrogen production with the other 510 MW to be fed into the electricity grid network. The park will include two offshore substations.
The aerogenerators closest to the coast (North) and are part of plot 1 are 14 km from Vila Praia de Âncora (Caminha), and south, around 15 km from Areosa (Viana do Castelo).
The third project is Âncora, off the coast of Leixões-Vila Nova de Gaia, and are currently in the preliminary study. (planning and techno-economics)
With an area of 41 km2, the project will have a 765 MW potential, with 51 aero generators of 15 MW each. 510 MW will be fed into the network and 255 MW for green hydrogen production.
The projects will employ floating platforms anchored to the sea bed by 3-6 lines of 600-800 m distributed between three columns.